Sunday, July 25, 2010

Week 17


I can't believe it's been 3 weeks since I posted. Time flies! Since I posted last, my baby has gone from the size of a small avocado to a large bell pepper. Though I'm 18 weeks today, I still haven't felt baby moving, though I'm sure he or she is all over the place. I think the three biggest body changes I've noticed are:
1. Of course, the enlarging belly. Can't hide it now and of course my patients don't understand social graces and many are asking if I'm pregnant. One lady asked and when I said, yes, she said, "Good, I was hoping you weren't getting fat." Wow! With this expanding belly comes more opportunity for creativity in my wardrobe. I can't fit into my regular clothes, but can't fit into maternity clothes yet. So I'm using a belly band, a rubber band and lots of spandex waisted pants. Not a lot of variety in that mix, but oh well. I'm much more comfortable this way!
2. Lots of back pain. As my center of gravity shifts forward I feel it more and more in my back. Shan has to remind me of this and we do some home back-cracking, ice, stretching etc. Tylenol does very little for me, so I don't usually try that since it's one more exposure for baby without desired effect for mommy.
3. My pelvic bones are really sore! Especially my tailbone, which is actually sore to the touch. But any hard surface that I sit on can cause pain all over my pelvis including my hips. Weird stuff...

We find out the sex this Friday at our ultrasound and are very excited! We're going to have to keep it out of public sites (this blog, facebook), because we're planning to give the news to our family in person, when we're in Mexico from August 11-18. But I will link the info in person, on the phone or via private email. So if you're dying to know, email or call me after July 30th!!

We're putting together our registries and will plan to finish them after we find out the sex. We've found some great deals recently including:
1. An antique wood baby cradle for beside the bed. We're going to sand it down and restain it and make it our own!
2. Some odds and ends baby stuff and maternity clothes off of craig's list

I was with a good friend over the weekend, laboring with her at home and then joining her or her birth at Swedish hospital. She welcomed baby boy Clive to this world on July 24 at 0107 and he weighed 8lb 14 oz. She did great, baby and dad did great, and it brought to reality what I'll be doing in a few months as well! Here we go Shan! Would love for a smaller baby, but what do you think the odds of that are with Shan and my genetics?

That's about all for now. I'll continue cooking the bun in the oven and can't wait for this Friday's revelation and our time with family in Mexico. Then it will be fall and the last 1/3 of the pregnancy already...very weird to say!

LOTS OF LOVE,
shauna and baby Applet

1 comment:

  1. My beautiful pregnant sister! It is such a joy to walk through the many new experiences this pregnancy is bringing to your and Shan's life:) I love to see the pictures, hear about what you're feeling and how God has so carefully orchestrated your body to provide for this sweet applet. I love you and cannot wait to see you guys in just over two weeks. You're beautiful! Please continue to share. Love, Aubry

    ReplyDelete